Alu posto is a hot favorite at home. It simply works for a simple veg affair. Though, making the paste is slightly messy but cooking is ultra easy. So, this sunday I decided to make it with a slight difference, made Deem-Alu Posto i.e. Potatoes and eggs in a gravy made of Khus-Khus /Poppy seeds. There was a beetroot lying somewhere in the corner of my fridge, waiting to be cooked, so used that as a side dish with some chopped carrots, a simple stir fry. Here is a quick recipe;
Things you shall need;
- Hard boiled eggs – 2, (remove the shells and marinate it with a hint of turmeric and salt)
- Medium sized potaotes – 2, peeled and cubed
- Medium sized onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- A paste of poppy seeds, green chillies and a little salt – 2-3 tablespoons
- Nigella seeds – very little just for tempering
- Green chillies – slit into two halves (to be added, towards the end)
- Mustard oil
- Heat the mustard oil to a smoking point in the wok.
- Now add the boiled eggs and fry them till they are nice and golden.
- Remove the eggs once fried and keep it separately.
- In the same oil, add the nigella seeds. Then add the chopped onions and a pinch of sugar to get a beautiful color. Once the onions turn slightly pinkish add the potatoes and fry them for sometime.
- Add half cup of water to the potatoes and cover and cook until the potatoes are tender
- At the final stage, add the paste made of poppy seeds and mix it well. Once it comes to a boil, add those boiled and fried eggs to them and season it with salt. Remember not to add too much of salt, since the paste already has some.
- Add the chillies, simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 1 Beetroot
- 1 Carrot
- Green chillies
- Pinch of turmeric
- Nigella Seeds